Favicons can add character and flare to any blog or website! Follow this free tutorial by See My Designs by Shauna to learn how to add a Favicon to your WordPress blog or website!
Step 1: Create the Favicon
- Create a Favicon image that is 16 x 16 pixels.
- Save the file as favicon.ico
Note: You must use a software that will allow saving of .ico graphic files. Or convert your .png image to a .ico file with a service like ConvertICO.com
Step 2: Install the Favicon
- Use your FTP client to access your theme’s main folder
- Upload the favicon.ico file to the theme folder
In order for your favicon to show up in some older browsers, you will need to edit your page header.
- Navigate from you Dashboard to Theme Settings
- Scroll down to the text box titled “Header and Footer Scripts”
- Add the code below into the text box and save the changes
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="<?php echo get_stylesheet_directory_uri(); ?>/favicon.ico" />
You should now see a custom Favicon on your WordPress blog or site! Be aware that it sometimes takes 2-3 days for Favicons to appear. Please leave a comment if you have any questions or need assistance!